Wednesday, July 22, 2015

2015 UFDC Convention - Kansas City: Day 2

On Tuesday (July 14th) I spent the day seeing some of the sites in the area.

I rented a car and carefully made my way to Independence, MO to visit the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum.  




Luckily, soon after I arrived, a guided tour was offered. The docent was extremely knowledgeable and the tour was educational and enjoyable.


Did you know that Truman was Vice President for only a few months before President Roosevelt died? 






The museum has an almost exact replica of Truman's office in the White House.




Licca in front of the Truman family on their Whistle Stop tour.





President Truman and his wife our buried on the grounds of the Library and Museum, as are their daughter Margaret and her husband.


Below is the office Truman used at the Library and Museum until he died.


The tour was almost 3 hours long (wow) and I was starving by the time I left. I pulled into the first restaurant I saw, McDonald's, and had a satisfying lunch before I got back onto the road. 

I had visited a historical site, now I got to visit a kitschy site. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of the house, since my tour guide was rushed. She was 15 minutes late starting the tour that she gives every 1/2 an hour. Needless to say, I was rushed in an out of the house. Oh well.

It is worth seeing if you are ever in the area, and are not expecting too much.

I then drove back to KC, returned the rental car, and had a quiet evening. The next day, Convention begins.

Paraphernalia from the Truman Library and Museum: brochure and ticket, 


and a two sided book-mark.




No comments:

Post a Comment